Archive | Memories

RSS feed for this section

Coach Houses

This is a slideshow by Alan Griffin which has images of many buildings which were coach houses in years past. Click on the forward and back arrows on screen or on the keyboard to navigate through the presentation. Click on the two-headed arrow symbol in the bottom right to enter full-screen mode. Coach houses slideshow […]

Leamington Spa History Slideshow

Here is a thorough history of the town in 50 or so slides by Alan Griffin. Click on the forward and back arrows on screen or on the keyboard to navigate through the presentation. Click on the two-headed arrow symbol in the bottom right to enter full-screen mode.  

Old Leamington Calendar 2017

This is our Calendar for 2017 which shows scenes and memories of the town and is compiled by our members. All previous editions have sold quickly which has been very pleasing. Author: compiled for LHG under leadership of Alan Griffin Published in 2016 by Leamington History Group Retail Price: £5.00 Copies may be purchased at […]

Railways to Royal Leamington Spa

This is an introduction to the railways of Leamington Spa and a longer and more detailed Research Paper is available HERE In the nineteenth century Leamington Spa was blessed with the construction of railway lines radiating in several directions. Leamington missed out on the first main line from London to Birmingham which opened in 1838 […]

Miss Rosemary Thwaites

Rosemary Thwaites was the youngest child and only daughter of Captain Sidney Herbert Thwaites, a retired soldier-turned-farmer and a member of the Yorkshire brewing family. Her older brother Leslie Basil Thwaites, a farmer, engineer and inventor, set up Thwaites Agricultural Engineering Company, and Rosemary too grew up interested in motors and mechanisms, driving a car from […]

Steeplechases

The large tracts of permanent pasture to the west and south of the new town of Leamington, formerly given over to sheep and cattle grazing since medieval times, were prime fox hunting country. Writing in  1841 the distinguished travel writer Dr Augustus Granville had this to say about Leamington … “The neighbourhood may be  of […]

Feldon School

Feldon School was set up at Milverton Hill by Dr J.L. and Mrs S.A. Matthews in the summer of 1950.  They had taken over a small private school, ‘Ardmore’ based at 69 Willes Road/corner of Leam Terrace in September 1948, when Ardmore’s previous owners left to run a boarding establishment in Monmouth.   In a matter […]

Cricket in Leamington

ONE OF OUR EARLY ARTICLES As 19th Century Leamington metamorphosed from village into prestigious spa town, and eminent medical men advised exercise in addition to taking the waters, many sports associations sprang up here. Leamington could boast a Real Tennis Club, the first venue for Lawn Tennis (on the site of the present Manor Court […]

The Blue Café

Mrs Margaret Mary Maitland Fowler, sometime owner of Leamington’s famous Blue Café in Bath Street, became something of a Midlands legend in her own lifetime. She was appointed OBE for her services to charity, to disabled ex-servicemen and the Red Cross. Mrs Fowler worked for the Red Cross and fund-raised for charity for most of […]