Like its former distinguished Headmaster Dr Joseph Wood, seen here, the old Leamington College building in Binswood Avenue has recently passed into history . . . as a school.
Designed by the architect David Squirhill and opened in 1848 it was the first purpose-built school in Leamington. Apart from a brief period as a convent before the First World War, it had always been an educational establishment.
It became the sixth form college for North Leamington School and was known at that time as Binswood Hall and, less politely, by the pupils as “The Bin”.
The building was converted to retirement apartments complete with facilities including a swimming pool and the first new occupants arrived in 2014.
We think it is important to ensure that the history of such major local institutions is recorded. We have a small archive of photographs of the College and would be grateful for the donation or loan of any material relating to the school at any date. Please contact Mick Jeffs