John Cundall, Architect

John-CundallThis is a brief summary of the life and work of an
architect whose designs pepper the town of
Leamington Spa with
buildings which have a distinct air of
belonging to the same family.

John Cundall was born in Leamington Spa in
1830 and died in 1889 at the age of 58 years.

A simple list of his more prominent designs shows
how much in demand his skills were at the time.

 

 

  1. Grafton House, Warwick New Road, 1851-1853
  2. Royal Pump Rooms alterations, 1861, many now removed
  3. Priory House, 1 Church Street, 1864
  4. North and South Chapels at the cemetery in Brunswick Street, 1867 and 1868
  5. John Hitchman’s memorial fountain, Jephson Gardens, 1869
  6. St Paul’s church, Leicester Street, 1873-1874
  7. Edward Willes obelisk, Jephson Gardens, 1875
  8. Binswood Hall chapel, Binswood Avenue, 1876
  9. St John’s church, Tachbrook Street, 1877
  10. Wesleyan church, Radford Road, 1877
  11. All Saints’ Church organ chamber, 1879, and vestries
  12. Henry Bright, memorial in his lifetime, west end of Hamilton Terrace, 1880
  13. Holy Trinity church, Beauchamp Avenue, 1881, extensions 1883
  14. Beauchamp Hill, 3 Gothic houses, 1881
  15. Board Offices, Cubbington Road, 1882
  16. St Mary Magdalene church, Lillington,  extended late C19, chancel extension 1884
  17. Town Hall, Parade, 1884
  18. Public Hall, Windsor Street, 1884, now demolished
  19. Denby Buildings, Regent Grove, 1885
  20. St Alban’s Church, Warwick Street, 1887, tower completed 1889 after his death, now demolished

A Gallery illustrating many of these buildings can be seen HERE

A blue plaque was unveiled by Edward Sargent, great-grandson,
in his memory on 27th July 2017.

 

Mick Jeffs, July 2017