Priory Terrace

Priory Terrace is a short street near the centre of Leamington Spa. One end is between All Saints Parish Church and the main Post Office, near the Pump Rooms; the other end runs into Leam Terrace at the junction with Mill Street.

Click on any of the pictures below to enlarge them.

river02The street runs close to the river Leam but the river cannot be seen from the street itself.

The buildings of Priory Terrace have varied functions. There are two churches, a post office with a sorting office, three dental practices and a number of houses occupied by students as well as the more conventional suburban family dwellings.

road_sign1For a road so close to the centre of town it’s amazing how many people have never heard of Priory Terrace. One of the reasons may be that, for a long time, there was only one roadsign on the street, which is painted on the Post Office wall.

But this is no longer true. In 2007 three new roadsigns miraculously appeared on this short street and so things really have moved from the sublime to the ridiculous.

north03On the north side of the street (alongside the river) are the post office, the sorting office and then eight houses, six of which are large, typically Victorian, semi-detached houses built towards the end of the 19th Century.

south02The other side of the street contains All Saints Parish Church, Priory House, Gospel Hall and a white terrace of six smaller houses constructed in the 1830’s.

LINK: historical images of Priory Terrace