Tag Archives: Buildings

Royal Leamington Spa: A History in 100 Buildings

NOW AVAILABLE This book relates a selected history of the town by telling the story of 100 buildings from their construction to the present day or their date of demolition and what replaced them. The articles usually include details of the buildings themselves, the architects and builders of them and some of the people who […]

Coach Houses

This is a slideshow by Alan Griffin which has images of many buildings which were coach houses in years past. Click on the forward and back arrows on screen or on the keyboard to navigate through the presentation. Click on the two-headed arrow symbol in the bottom right to enter full-screen mode. Coach houses slideshow […]

Castle Brewery

This is a summary of a Research Paper which may be viewed by Clicking Here Long before the subject brewery coexisted with a hotel, the Brunswick Street premises were known as the Castle Tavern and – according to an 1816 entry in the licensed victuallers’ records – its first licensee was Joseph Baker; it would […]

Leamington Spa Ale & Porter Brewery, Wise Street

Leamington Spa Ale & Porter Brewery [AKA: Public Brewery, Regent Brewery, Leamington Brewery] Wise Street Summary This is a summary of a Research Paper which may be viewed by Clicking Here Researching and piecing together this brewery’s history was particularly interesting because so little is known about it and even less has been written – […]

H B Dunn Chemists

  One of Leamington’s longest established businesses became yet another casualty of the increasing rents demanded for commercial premises when H B Dunn the Regent Street Chemist moved to alternative premises this year. The properties adjoining the old Lloyd’s Bank including the Golden Lion Inn were some of the first buildings to be erected when […]

The Blue Café

Mrs Margaret Mary Maitland Fowler, sometime owner of Leamington’s famous Blue Café in Bath Street, became something of a Midlands legend in her own lifetime. She was appointed OBE for her services to charity, to disabled ex-servicemen and the Red Cross. Mrs Fowler worked for the Red Cross and fund-raised for charity for most of […]

The Wise Hall, St John the Baptist Church

The Wise Hall St John’s Parochial Hall (aka ‘The Wise Hall’)  was built originally by Dr. John Hitchman. It was used by him as a place of worship for people connected with his  Arboretum Hydropathic Hospital which opened close by in 1862.  After the formation of St. John’s Parish in 1875, it was given by Mrs. […]

Unveiling of the Blue Plaque for Benjamin Satchwell

The Leamington History Group is pleased that our members have helped to sponsor the mounting of a Blue Plaque on Satchwell Granary at No 1 New Street which was unveiled on 10th June 2015. This is the site of the cottage where Benjamin Satchwell lived for at least 45 years. The plaque was organised by the Historic Plaques Committee […]